Cavs, Tristan Thompson $14 million apart on new deal
With a week to go until the start of training camp, Tristan Thompson and the Cleveland Cavaliers are still far apart on a new deal.
According to ESPN's Brian Windhorst, the Cavs and Thompson are $14 million apart on a new deal. According to Windhorst's report, the Cavs have stood pat and are still offering Thompson a five-year deal worth $80 million. Thompson, who is a restricted free agent, is seeking a max deal worth $94 million. The Cavs may be unwilling to budge due to the tax ramifications of signing Thompson to a max deal.
If the two sides don't come to terms on a new deal, Thompson may sign his qualifying offer worth $6.9 million and then become an unrestricted free agent this summer. Earlier this summer, Thompson's agent Rich Paul said that if Thompson signs his qualifying offer, this will be his last season as a Cavalier.
Out of the 20 players who have signed qualifying offers, only one - then-Philadelphia 76ers center Spencer Hawes - re-signed with the same team a year later. Two other Paul clients - Pelicans guard Norris Cole, who signed his last week, and Knicks center Kevin Seraphin - have signed qualifying offers in the past.
This is the second summer in a row Paul has had a client have contract negotiations extend close to training camp. Last year, Suns guard Eric Bledsoe sought a max deal but ultimately signed a five year deal worth $70 million right before the start of training camp.
With little time left, it seems we'll soon see this situation resolved one way or another.
Source : SB Nation
This article has been read a total of 56418 times.
- Larry Bird Wishes He Wouldve Done More To Prolong His Career
- Larry Bird: 'I knew I wasn't going to last long'
- Highest Scoring NBA Game Ever!
- COLLECT YOUR FREE SPINS!
- Kevin Durant sticks up for Greg Oden, calls bust talk 'nonsense'
- DeMarcus Cousins trade rumors finally feel real and imminent, NBA execs tell SN
- Porzingis wants to learn 'signature move' from Nowitzki
- DeRozan, Harden named Players of the Week
- Cavaliers set an NBA record for threes not even the Warriors can touch
- Klay Thompson The Latest Addition To Never-Ending Celtics Rumor Mill
- Anthony Davis to Celtics?
- Jackson: joining new Lakers team was 'never important to me'
- Larry Bird wears walking boot
- Celtic Olympians trivia quiz
- MOST TRUSTED TRAFFIC EXCHANGE SITES
|Gol. Warriors||144||98||L.A. Clippers|
|Mil. Bucks||108||112||Bos. Celtics|
|Mia. Heat||116||103||Det. Pistons|
|Cha. Hornets||106||109||Sac. Kings|
|Por. Trail Blazers||112||109||Mem. Grizzlies|
|New. Pelicans||119||103||San. Spurs|
|Chi. Bulls||88||100||Mia. Heat|
|Atl. Hawks||86||112||Was. Wizards|
|New. Knicks||110||107||Cha. Hornets|
|Bos. Celtics||128||98||Orl. Magic|
|Tor. Raptors||102||86||Mil. Bucks|
|Cle. Cavaliers||124||116||Bro. Nets|